While the Tories seem to have decided to make the election about negative personal attacks, we have a clear message for Rugby:
A vote for Claire Edwards is a vote for a fairer government.
- We need to act on the NHS, to protect services. GP surgeries in Rugby are under pressure, and hospital services need to be improved and secured for the local area. We would integrate health and social care, meaning that people who are ready to come out of hospital can, and those at risk are less likely to need healthcare. We would also repeal the disastrous and costly Health and Social Care Act, the "top-down reorganisation" that the Conservatives promised not to impose in April 2010 and announced weeks after the Coalition was formed.
- For business, we would set up an investment bank that would support new and growing businesses, cut rates for small businesses and cap energy costs.
- We would close tax loopholes for millionaires, while reducing income tax on the lower paid. We would also give tax breaks to companies who pay the living wage. We do need to reduce the deficit, but it should not be at the expense of those who are least able to shoulder the burden. The best way to reduce welfare benefits spending is to get more people into work - and work that pays, not zero-hours contracts. We will also guarantee a job or training to all young people who have been out of work for over a year.
- On education we would make university more achievable by reducing tuition fees, and also introduce better vocational and technical education including new technical degrees, so that further and higher education helps all of our young people. We would focus on quality of teaching at schools, ensuring that all teachers are properly qualified.
- We will combat "rip-off Britain" by holding a full review of the energy market, during which electricity and gas prices will be frozen (or capped to allow them to fall). We believe it is unfair to householders and businesses that when wholesale costs rise, our bills go up quickly, but when they fall (as they have done since last year), the companies do not pass on the savings.
- We will introduce a fair deal for private tenants, to combat the escalation of letting fees and the practice of short-term and unpredictable contracts.
While the Tories seem to have decided to make the election about negative personal attacks, we have a clear message for Rugby: A vote for Claire Edwards is a vote...